Learn about ESP
The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association developed the Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP) to encourage practices that benefit the environment and society. The voluntary program gives cabinet manufacturers a way to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability and helps you identify products that are better for your home, your family and the environment.
- ESP is the only environmental certification program that specifically focuses on kitchen and bath cabinets
- ESP requires companies to annually review their practices to safeguard the environment, track their achievements and continually seek new methods and practices.
- Certification is awarded annually based on compliance in five categories: air quality, product resource management, process resource management, environmental stewardship and community relations
- ESP rewards manufacturers for low formaldehyde-emitting wood products
- ESP promotes use of wood from a recognized sustainable forestry program
- ESP promotes ongoing education and outreach by awarding certification points to manufacturers that educate suppliers and promote community involvement
- The ESP seal is displayed on certified products
- Every year since March 2009, ESP has earned approval from an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited certification organization, validating the ESP certification process.
- ESP is referenced in the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Green Building Standard™, as the benchmark for green cabinet standards
- ESP was launched in 2006